Ivana Pejakovic, B.Sc., MA
You may have heard by now that goal setting is very powerful. The types of goals you set or don’t set for yourself will determine the type of life you live.
Those who choose not to set goals, often find themselves wondering through life or latching on to other people’s goals. These individuals find themselves without a purpose and very dissatisfied with their life circumstances.
To prepare for the future you need to learn the following lessons that goal setting has to offer. First, you demonstrate to yourself that you are capable of achieving whatever you set your mind to. Second, you learn to believe in yourself. Third, you learn that everything doesn’t always work out the first time; however, with commitment and persistence you can make things work.
Below is a short list of important benefits that goal setting offers you. Each of these points prepares you for a positive future. When reading through, think about your life and how each point relates to you. Think about how this information can help you move ahead.
1. Keeps you focused: Having goals and knowing what you want to achieve helps you stay on track and focused. It makes distractions are less distracting. When you know what needs to be done you’re more likely to do it then when you don’t have anything on your agenda.
2. Keeps you moving and motivated. Goals keep you moving. If you have nothing to do, you have no need to go or do anything. When you have something in mind you are motivated to get it done.
3. Achieve your dreams: As obvious as it sounds, you can’t achieve your dreams if you don’t know what you want to do. When you set goals regularly, you get to know yourself and what is important to you. Getting to know yourself is ongoing work. You don’t need to know all the answers right now. You just need to figure out what would be cool to achieve.
4. Shape your life the way you want to: You may not know this, but you have complete control over your life. How you spend your time, working towards something valuable, or just hanging out without getting much done, completely determines what kind of a life you live. You are a very smart and powerful being, but you need to use your time and energy in a positive way.
5. Feel good about yourself: There is no better way to boost your positive feelings about yourself than goal setting. There is something about getting things done and moving forward that will always make you feel good about yourself. It makes you feel like a valuable and contributing member of your community. Not only do you feel good about yourself because you’ve proved to yourself that you are great, but positive feedback from others, is like a cherry on the top.
Remember your future is in your hands. Believe in yourself. Plan for it today.
Ivana Pejakovic, Life Coach in Toronto